Friday 26 September 2008

Save the Last Dance for me...

Dancing of course is a really romantic thing. My couples all get together on the dance floor. Absurdly it wasn't till I was asked the question for a magazine interview I've just done, that it occurred to me thatthe reason my husband and I are together is because he literally did ask me for the last dance. Well actually the last two to be precise. It was March 15th 1984, and we were at a Rathbone Hall disco at Liverpool University. We were standing chatting, and one of his friends was poking him in the back saying Go on, ask her to dance. Needless to say, I was totally oblivious till he did. And the rest as they say is history.

I can't remember the order we danced them in, but I will remember which two songs we danced to till my dying day. The first is by Cars. And it's Drive You Home Tonight (well he walked me back to my room does that count?)



The second is Do You Know What Love Is by Foreigner. Corny and all as it is, I still get a little shiver every time I hear it. And I didn't really know. Not then at any rate...



Since then we've danced to many things on many occasions, but the song we've come to claim as our own is You Really Got Me by the Kinks. And this version of it has even more meaning cos we were actually there. And we did dance. And it was fab.



So what I want to know is what's your most romantic dancing experience and why...

Who knows I may pinch it for the next book....

2 comments:

Kate Allan said...

I don't actually have a romantic dancing experience, apart from all those Regency waltzs which only take place in my imagination.

Jane Henry said...

What not even at your wedding in that lovely dress you wore? I imagine writing regencies gives you lots of opportunities for virtual dancing. I cannot get those Ben Miller sketches out of my head now when I see regency dancing on tv...